ShowcasingLINK TO GITHUB REPO
Taking my poor Windows 10 to its absolute RAM limits, I increased the amount of grass blades from 50 000 to 100 000. This allowed for a denser, more realistic looking grass field. This is the result.
This implementation is a recreation of Markus R. Tillman's bachelor's thesis. In a number of ways, it is also an extension. The two most important ways ones are
- Perlin noise determined color distribution
- Grass blade variance
Most notably, the uniformity of the grass blades and their color has been broken, giving a much more realistic look to it.
Below is a compilation of what has been implemented.
The grass field
- has a Perlin noise map for ground height.
- has a Perlin noise map for color distribution.
- has a texture.
- have textures corresponding to the grass field pixel below it.
- vary in color depending on Perlin color map.
- simulate lighting.
- have randomized positionings.
- have normal distributed rotations, heights, widths and inclinations.
What has yet to be implemented:
- Varying densities of grass.
- Simulated down-trodden paths through the grass field
- User interface
- Level of Detail optimizations